Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Sweetie Pie Sew Along - Cherry Hearts Placemat Tutorial!!


Hello cute people!
Are you ready for a
 cute little tutorial?

We are right in the middle of the 
and today I'm going to 
show you a fun little project...
how to make my 
Cherry Hearts Placemat:)

YaY!!!


I told you in my last post...
 that I would be making something 
with the C-8 heart from the 


So just a little side note before we get started; 
I also put a heart in my 



And I made this one a little smaller 
 so that they can stack on top of each other.

Isn't that fun!?!?

We are only using the
 C-8 heart today 
but I just thought 
you might like to know!


Okay...
with that being said 
let's get started with the cutting.

This is a perfect project
 for leftovers.
I've only made 
one placemat so far ...
but I plan on making another 
so that I can 
put them on the 
countertop in my kitchen
 with the two barstools:)



From your 
scraps cut:
10 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"


Cut 6 - 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"


Cut 2 - 3 1/2" x 6 1/2"


From any of the 3 backgrounds:
Cut 8 - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"


And for the hearts: 
Cut 8 - 2" x 3"
Not pictured is the 
but you will need to cut 
8 of those 
the same size as well:)


Trace your hearts 
onto the interfacing...



Sew directly onto your marked line 
and overstitch about 1/2" 
on top of where you started.



Trim an approximate 1/4" seam allowance 
and clip ONE time on the 
cleavage of each heart like this:)



Cut the back of the interfacing...



And turn right side out.
Use your handy dandy
to shape your hearts.



I love these cute little hearts!!!
I just had to set them up for a few photos:)






YaY!!

Now let's make the placemat:)


Sew each row together like this.


And then sew your rows together:)


At this point you can 
baste your hearts on
 and appliqué them...
but I decided to 
make the entire placemat...
binding and all...
 then appliqué the hearts...
 because I didn't know
 if I wanted to
 quilt over the top of them
 and squish them down
 because they're
 sew cute!

(I apologize to all 
of my english teachers 
for the super long
 run on sentence lol)


Okay...
so I chose this fat quarter
 for the backing.


I cut it and the 
batting about
 an 1" bigger all the way
 around the placemat.

Which by the way 
measures 12 1/2" x 18 1/2"...
the perfect placemat size!


I set my hearts aside
 until after the quilting
 and grabbed one of my new
and my turning tool
 for marking the quilting lines.


I marked lines 1" apart on the diagonal 
using the curved edge of the turning tool
 right next to the rulers edge
 just like you would a rotary cutter ...
except you are not cutting...
you are marking quilting lines!


Another handy dandy use 
for this awesome tool:)


 I used a walking foot 
attached to my machine
 and simply quilted directly
 onto the creased lines...easy peasy!


Then I trimmed my backing and batting 
even with the edges of the table runner:)


For the binding I cut
 2 - 2 1/2" x Width of Fabric strips
 and sewed them together. 

to see my tutorial 
on binding a quilt:)


Then I hand appliquéd my hearts 
and hid the knots in the back
 of the placemat like you do
 when you are hand quilting:)


I used the red gingham
 binding because I 
had some leftover...



 from when I did the


I love these 
cute little hearts...


And this cute little placemat!!!

I hope you do too:)
xx
Lori














7 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

I love this and how you attached your little hearts afterwards! Beautiful placemats!!

Warm Quilts said...

What a great tutorial! The placemats are so colorful and cute.

Amandalee said...

These are so cute!😍

Moosegirl said...

How fun!!And cheerful! Brightened my day1 Thanks Lori!

Barbara McD said...

So, SO adorable!!

pink for me said...

Love these place mats!! Just purchased the Sew Cherry 2 fat quarter bundle, and will be making these.

Unknown said...

Very beautiful

Related Posts with Thumbnails