Friday, December 30, 2011

Kassidy Sews...

Today I thought I would show you what Kassidy made her friends for Christmas.
For those of you who might not know...
Kassidy is my 12 year old daughter
and my baby!

She has been sewing with me since she was very young and got her first sewing machine
when she turned 9.
We have regular "Sew Nite's" together so that we can play with fabric, have fun together and improve on her sewing skills...which I think are important for a young girl to have!

The winters here in Utah are so very cold so she decided she wanted to make hoodie scarves.
We saw some at Target that were way cute but at 20 dollars each...that wasn't going to happen as she has 8 friends
that she wanted to sew for....
so she decided we could make our own.

We took a trip to JoAnn's and she picked out
3 colors of nice thick fluffy fleece.
It was 10.00 per yard but was 50% off...and each scarf needed 3/4 yards...so I say that was a pretty good deal!


Fleece is so fun and easy to sew with because it doesn't fray and so there is no hemming needed...so these scarfs went together quick....no need for a pattern...just a scarf with a hood sewn to the top center.
She made the scarf extra long so that she could fold each end up twice and stitch down the sides for pockets....
and cut fringe on the ends.

We used muslin to design and cut out a test pattern shape for the hood before
 cutting into the fleece.


Kassidy made 9 scarves total...
8 for her friends and 1 for herself.
She did a great job...thay turned out really cute and the girls all loved them!

We also made additional little gifts to go with the scarves that I will post about later.

When I was a girl growing up in a large family with lots of sisters, we would sew most of our own clothes.
My mom taught us all how to sew when we were young and it seemed that her tan Singer sewing machine was always set up on the kitchen table....we would always have to put the sewing away to set the table for dinner and then it would go right back on after the dishes were done!
We made some cute outfits and lots of cute dresses for church.
My sister Tammy who is a year older
than I...was the real seamstress...
what a talent!
She could sew anything but depended on me to choose the fabrics and styles and coordinate the outfits because that 
just happened to be my talent.

Mom would take us girls to the mall to check out all the good stuff...
my sisters and I would find what we liked and then I would sketch them.
Then we would go look for patterns that looked like what I had sketched ...alot of times Tammy would combine two or three patterns for a certain look.
I would choose all of the fabric and coordinate the outfits...
and even do some designing!
 My sisters would pick out the outfits that they wanted (but we all shared anyway as we were all pretty much the same size) 
Each sister was in charge of cutting out her own outfit from the pattern pieces and marking them ...and then Tammy would sew them
and make them fit us.
We always got compliments on our clothes and were always asked where we got them.

I'm proud that I have a mother who 
taught me to sew.
Thanks MOM! 
 I am taking her example and passing it on
to my daughter.
I love the fact that Kassidy saw something in a store and decided to make her own...
a continuation of a family tradition:)

xx
Lori



42 comments:

EllenaElizabeth said...

So wonderful to see a young 'un sewing and loving it. We have to encourage them as much as we can.

Janine said...

very impressed!
love the idea of making rather than store bought. she did a wonderful job :)

Lesley said...

A wonderful story...wonderful scarves, and a wonderful mother- daughter team! You have a special connection and how proud you must be!

STEINKJERRINGA said...

My grandmother was the person who inspired me. She sewed dresses to the whole family and other women here. My mother sewed my clothes until I was 15 years old. When I got my own family (three children), I continued the family tradition in sewing. Happy New Year to you and your family. Greetings from the top of Europe - Norway!

birdie blue said...

love the hooded scarves. so perfectly sweet. how special to spend the time together sewing gifts for her girlfriends. your daughter is one lucky lady, to have the likes of you for a mom.

happy new year, my friend.
xo
molly

Unknown said...

Great job Kassidy!!! The scarves are cute cute. Nice colors too.
Teresa

Connie said...

I love to sew and would enjoy teaching others. What an encouraging family you had. ;^)

Devon said...

Lori,
Tell Kassidy awesome job..and what a great story,,my mom was very creative,she painted,knitted,dab her hand at ceramics,and sewed alittle. I take after her as I am into alot of crafts,,unfortunately my only daughter does not have a creative bone in her body..thanks for sharing and looking forward to more projects from your daughter,,Happy New Year..

trish said...

Kassidy's hooded scarves are soo cute! She did a super job and how much fun to have those charming colors for all her friends. :o) I can just imagine how cute they will look at school. :o)
You are so blessed to have such a legacy of sewing and memories in your family. :o) And passing it on to Kassidy. :o)
Happy New Year. hugs, Trish

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love today's post Lori. Many reminders of my days growing up and sewing for five sisters. My daughter isn't interested in sewing but I intend to spend more time sewing with granddaughter Audrey like you do with Kassidy.

Debra said...

I love the scarves. Any chance of you doing a detailed tutorial?

Renea said...

I am sew thankful that my mom taught me to sew also. I was 11 yrs. old and was in 4-H. I had to sew an outfit for the county fair. My mom helped me cut out everything and showed me how to use the sewing machine (which was always set up in the kitchen). After she helped me get started she went to the garden to work and left me to sew. I received honors on my sewing and was asked to model my outfit at the county fair. I have been sewing ever since. I wish my daughter wanted to learn to sew but sadly not yet. Maybe some day. She does like everything that I make for her.

FairyFiligree said...

No daughters for me. I also learnt how to sew as a girl and with the encouragement of my mother took lessons to help perfect my skills. Maybe one day I'll be blessed with grand daughters! who knows. love the scarves - neat little project. Actually it must have been a big project for her. have a wonderful New Year!

my happy bluebird said...

Kassidy did a great job! I love those hoodie scarves! What a great gift for your friends. Thanks also for sharing your memories along with photos of Kassidy's lovely handiwork!

Wishes for a safe and Happy New Year... :-)

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like she has the sewing genes and did a great job too.

grandmarockton said...

that's so wonderful as my daughters just say be Mom make it for me PLEASE!

Nedra said...

I can just imagine all the girls walking down a snowy street together in their bright and happy scarves.
What a wonderful tradition you are passing on to Kass. She will be the next Lori Holt!

Pat said...

Kassity did a wonderful job.

I taught myself how to sew on my Mom's machine. I used to watch her so I knew what to do and started out cutting and designing doll clothes. I graduated into making my first dress out of feed sacks. Now you know how old I am. LOL I always sewed my clothes when I was young including my jeans as Calvin Klein had a pattern for them. One of my daughters have followed in my foot steps. It is great to see a young child interested in sewing.

Delirious said...

My mother also taught me to sew, and I also learned in "homemaking" at school. I did make many dresses growing up. I wasn't the best seamstress (and am still not), but no one seemed to notice the flaws. ;) I encouraged my daughter to sew. In High school, we told her that if she got straight A's, we would give her a "bonus". When she did get straight A's, we bought her a sewing machine. She didn't fully appreciate it at the time, but throughout the past years, and during college, she had fun with it. It is a gift that she will really appreciate once she gets married and has children! :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea and gift! Will you be doing a tutorial on these (I would love to make some for my neighbor girls) or if not a tutorial will you sell the pattern? Pretty please :)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I'm thinking Kassidy will be inundated with requests for hooded scarves! This would be a great community project for 4-H! So, I'm hoping y'all will share a tutorial or pattern as well because I know they are going to ask for one.The two of you are creating precious memories together!

Sharon said...

I love the scarves that Kassidy made!

Sandy said...

It's great to be able to teach the next generation what we enjoy so much. How wonderful that you have those memories of your sisters...your own little design group!

Brenda said...

I love what you are saying! So true!
I'm teaching my little girl, who is now eight how to sew. We are sewing American Girl Clothes for her Doll.
I must say, I love the scarves! Way to go Kassidy! I'm sure your friends love them! What a sweetie you are! I think we should make some! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda said...

PS. I'm not sure how to make the hood? Is there something special that you did to make it look so wonderfully adorable? Thanks again! :)

DianeM said...

Great job Kassidy! I love the colors you picked out. Happy New Year to you & your family Lori. I have really enjoyed following your blog this year & now you keep me overflowing with beautiful pics on Pinterest.
Smiles, DianeM
basketblessed@yahoo.com

life in red shoes said...

I NEED LESSONS!

Helen L said...

What a wonderful post and great scarves!! I'd love to see a pic of Kassidy with one on!! Would she consent to being a model of that great design for us? :-) I grew up sewing many of my clothes too: babysitting money went alot further that way!! Wish I could have gotten my girls interested in sewing, but they never were interested :-( Oh well, I can always hope for grandchildren to teach!! Have a great New Years!!

SallySews said...

So glad you are back. You've been missed.
Sally

Sherry said...

What wonderful hoodie scarves - fun colors too. Great job Kassidy! Happy New Year to you & your family Lori.

Rae Ann said...

Kassidy is a real chip off the ole block... as they say. I am so proud of her! The scarves are beautiful!!! I can just imagine all those girls running around together wearing their scarves.
Hugs!

Linda Ruthie said...

Kassidy did a great job! I love the design details of pockets and fringe.
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Rosa-Munda said...

Happy New Year Lori, and well done Kassidy - you're so talented!
Ros x

Kerri said...

I think that is wonderful! Kassidy made beautiful gifts

Donna S. said...

My granddaughters would love those. Could you show a picture of Kassidy wearing hers so I can see exactly how it is made?

Sharon said...

Those are too cute. Love the colors. My mom taught us to sew too and she made all of our clothes. I made my two boys clothes when they were little. I think it's great that your daughter sews and likes it.

Nanette Merrill said...

It is so great we came from mom's that sewed and took time with us. Kass is so sweet. These are darling!

Lindabee said...

Love these scarves, my granddaughters would love them too. Any chance you will share the measurements with us?

Martha said...

Glad you are back. You have been missed. The scarves are adorable. I have sewed since I was a little girl but I have all boys. I taught Home Ec so I have been able to teach a few kids to sew.

Farm Quilts said...

I echo the request for the pattern...I make mittens for underprivileged kids and would love a simple hoodie pattern!!

antique quilter said...

I love that your daughter made gifts for her friends!
I used to always get my DD"s to make gifts too.
once they became teenagers it was harder and harder to do but even if we bought a few little things , like nailpolish and and emory board we sewed little bags to put them in .....
keep the tradition of sewing whatever way we can!
Happy new year!
Kathie

Virginia said...

Hi! My 7 year old son is very keen on learning how to sew so I'm on the lookout for simple projects for him, and this scarf would be perfect! I can figure out how to do the pockets but how do you do the hood? Any details/patterns/tutorials would be great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails