Monday, January 24, 2011

How I Made my "Cup Cozies" Tutorial...

I heart two and a half inch scrappy squares. I use them in alot of projects.
I thought that since I showed you a quilt in my last post that I made with 2 1/2" squares...I would show you something else that I made last month using them.

I made some cup cozie's for gifts for a few of my friends....so I thought I would do a tutorial for you on how I made them.
Have you seen these clear cups that you can buy at Old Navy?....I heart them too. They're perfect for a nice cold Diet DP with x-tra ice....

....or another alternative cup is one like these for smokin' hot drinks! (like cocoa...lol). I bought these at Hobby Lobby.


I used the soft foam rubber wrapper on this cup for a pattern base for my cozie's...

I cut it off the cup and laid it out on a piece of paper.
I wanted it longer to allow for overlap and a button closure.
I also wanted it wider because I thought it would be cuter and also show off more of my scrappy squares...so I traced around it accordingly....and cut my paper pattern out.


(I traced my pattern without allowing for seam allowance....I wanted it to be the FINISHED size cozie)

After figuring that I would need 12 squares sewn together in 2 rows of 6 in order to be big enough for my pattern.....I picked out the squares in a variety of pleasing colors and patterns and stitched them together.

I chose a fabric for the lining and cut it about the same size as the 12 squares segment after they were sewn together...

Then I cut a piece of thin Pellon the same size to use for batting.
I layered the 12 squares segment and the lining fabric right sides together and then placed the Pellon on top.
I pinned my pattern on top through ALL layers.
I also cut 2 pieces of 1/8" wide elastic about 3" in length each to use for the button closures.
Sorry that I have no picture of this step....I guess I forgot to take one!

I stitched through all layers around the edge of my paper pattern....no tracing!...then I cut around my stitching leaving about a 1/4" seam allowance.*I stitched the 2 elastic pieces in one end of the cozie at the same time...back stitching for strength....and I also left an opening in the bottom middle for turning.
You can click on the pictures for a better look.
I turned right side out and pressed. I topstitched 1/8" from the edge...sewing the opening closed and strengthening the elastic at the same time.

I decided to use some red buttons from my stash and found matching ones in pairs.

I wrapped the cozie around the cup and marked dots on the cozie with a pencil where to put the buttons.
I made sure to sew the buttons on so that the elastic would stretch enough to hold the cozie onto the cup without slipping off.

The finished cozies on the cups for hot drinks....made out of 2 1/2" squares.

You may have noticed that these "Cup Cozie's" above are not made from 2 1/2" squares. Well....I also heart 1 1/2" strips!
I have containers chock full of strips... because for years I have cut my leftover fabrics from projects into 1 1/2" and also 2 1/2" strips.
These are always my "go-to" containers to use in scrappy quilts and small projects such as this. I can use the strips as is or cut them into squares or rectangles as needed.

To make the cozie's out of strips....I simply sewed several 12" long strips (I think I used 18) together making a rectangle piece about 12" x 18".
I also cut a piece of fabric the same size for the lining.
I layed my pattern out across the top of the strips diagonally and stitched after layering lining fabric and Pellon just like I did with the squares.....(and also placing elastic pieces inside for stitching)

These clear cups were a little bit wider around than the polka dot cups...but I still had plenty of room for the cozie to overlap. If not...I would have just added another inch or so to the length of my pattern.


These were really fun and easy to make and I loved how they turned out....I even kept one for myself!
And because Valentine's Day is coming up....wouldn't these be adorable in cute valentine fabric?
So girls...save your scraps from your projects...and stitch up a few "Cup Cozie's" for some quilty fun!
P.S. I added this tutorial onto a couple of linky party's.
Go over and check them out for more fun tutorials!



19 comments:

Carol said...

OMG those just couldn't be any cuter! I'm going to Old Navy for cups...thanks so much Lori!

Nedra said...

Another wonderful tutorial full of "Lori insprirations!" And the cups with the red polka dots are just YOU:)

Sewn With Grace said...

These are wonderful! I love the colors you chose, so fun and happy with the polka dots. I've always wanted to try this, so I'll be looking for cups for sure! This would make a great addition to my sewing Christmas post today if you'd like to join in! Blessings!

Nielson said...

LOVE it :)

Heart And Home said...

How cute! I just love the cups. I will have to try making some.

Sandy said...

Cute, cute, cute!! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

They are so cute and easy to make. I could make lots of these for next year's stocking stuffers. Thanks!

Maxine said...

Off to Old Navy here in St George and see if they have some..so cute...Where do you come with all the ideas anyway????? Love your blog...

Linda said...

How cute! Thanks for the turorial...

Cathy H. said...

Loving this!! These are so wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to include the tutorial! Your creative talent is amazing!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love mine. Dave makes me hot chocolate to go in it. He knows I love it and I love to take it to work. It stays hot too. He makes it nice and hot and the cozy keeps me from it all. I'm in heaven. Love my cup and cozy. Those old navy cups are darling!

Material Girls said...

I love mine too! but every time I go to use it Shelby has it!
Nadine

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Wonderful! I have seen those clear cups in sets at Costco, now I have an excuse to buy some! Thanks for sharing!

Funoldhag said...

What a nice little project! And a great tutorial! Good stuff. Carol

Unknown said...

Perfect! It's easy, it's also brilliant!
Thanks so much.

Jenny at Red House said...

Love your blog! what a great project, useful and beautiful- ticks all the boxes! jennyx

irene gardner said...

I'm a new subscriber and just adore your quilts. They are irristible, sweeter than chocolate! Love the new look too!
Irene

My Vintage Mending said...

I adore these cups and just love your site. I cannot wait to sew these up for gifts...Renee

My Vintage Mending said...

Love these cups and cannot wait to try these. I am loving your site. Such a treat!
Renee

Related Posts with Thumbnails