Wednesday, March 3, 2010

February Clothesline Club

I have belonged to the "Clothesline Club" for three years now...ever since it began. The club is held at Quilts Etc. in Sandy and is taught by my friend Sandra Mack.
I just love her! She is such a good teacher and she brings so much fun and enthusiasm to the club. The quilt above and the quilt below are hers.
The format of the Clothesline Club was created by Darlene Zimmerman for quilt shops to teach about 1930's fabrics and patterns.
Darlene designs the patterns and fabrics to go with them herself and then sets up the club to go for a year.
Each year she changes it up with new fabrics and patterns but still sticks with the 1930's theme.


The patterns are free each month for members of the club.
Sandra stays one month ahead of us by showing the completed project for next month so that we can sign up for a kit (or 2 or 3 for over achievers!)...and then Sandra cuts the kits for us and we pick them up at next months meeting.
There are lots of prizes to be won through drawings each meeting.
Your name is entered in if you finish the project during that month, bring show and tell or arrive on time.
We each have our name written on a wooden clothespin that sits on the lip of an old cleaning bucket and as we arrive, we place our clothespin into the clothespin bag for the ontime drawing.
Sandra keeps track of who goes into the drawing for other prizes throughout the meeting.

The above quilt was last months project and several members finished thier quilts. So if you see a repeat of this quilt pattern in the rest of my show and tell, you will know why!



We like to bring things that have been in our family for show and tell and talk about our Mothers, Grandmothers and Great Grandmothers. Sandra teaches us a different history each month about the 1930's. That era in American history is such an interesting one and we all enjoy learning more about it every month.
Look at this amazing yo-yo quilt. I've never seen one set this way but I love it!
Okay...enough "tell"...it's time for the "show" part.





































After we have show and tell, we always have a very nice luncheon that is put on by members of the club. We form groups of 3-4 and sign up for a month at the first of the year.
We all try to bring our best tried and true family dishes and a recipe for everyone.
We have so many good recipes by now that we have decided to compile a cookbook that we will sell and donate the proceedings to Rae Ann's charitable organization that she heads up every year.
We sure laugh alot there (and sometimes cry when telling family stories) but we always have a good time. I look forward to it every month.

post signature

14 comments:

Jan said...

Ohhhhh Lori, I've thoroughly enjoyed your last few posts! Such lovely quilts and so much wonderful inspiration! Tk you, and I adore your Dresden Plate! It's one of my all time favorites and I look forward to seeing your finished piece :)

Mary said...

Oh, you make me want to join you in Sandy, Utah each month for the Clothesline Club! Alas, it's way too far to drive... :((( Love the pictures and re-living it with you.

Mary said...

We have Clothesline Club here in Oswego, Il. I love it. The projects are fun. I try to keep up on on the fun things. We Had an apron club last year, and it is being combined with Clothesline. We talk about our families and things we remember too. We share family items as well. It is a great way to remember the memebers or our families that are gone. You start to remember other memories that were long forgotten. It is good.

Kelly L. said...

I agree you have a wonderful blog and I look forward to your posts! Keep up the good work & sewing too!

Elizabeth said...

So many beautiful projects. I love that yo-yo quilt! It stands out particularly, but everything is amazing. Loved sew-and-tell today! Clothesline Club sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

Nedra said...

What a wonderful idea. Our history really does brings us together. Sandra is such a great teacher, and I admire your proceeds going to RaeAnn's Foundation work.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The Clothesline Club sounds like great fun Lori!

em's scrapbag said...

This sounds like so much fun. I love Quilts Etc. Can one still join the Clothesline Club. When does it meet?

Micki said...

The club sounds like such fun! Enjoy the project!
Micki

Nanette Merrill said...

Love the show and tell. It is always good to see other people's fun quilts.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Thanks for all the quilterly inspiration! Wow. All those quilts are so pretty.

Rae Ann said...

Thank you for sharing the wonderful show and tell. I love to see what it was that I missed. Wish I could have been there!
I was so excited to read that the proceeds would go to my foundation... I cried! :)
You are so right... Sandra is all that... and a bag of chips! Love that gal! She makes everything so fun.

whitey said...

I have pictures of my mom and dad I swear on that same horse!

Joyce said...

How fun! I would love to be able to join! Thanks for the great quilt show and fun projects!

Related Posts with Thumbnails