Monday, May 25, 2009

Vintage Monday - Polka Dots and Tulips

Today is Memorial Day, a perfect day for all things vintage, don't you think?

I'm remembering all of the days growing up, when Memorial Day meant Sunrise Service at the cemetary to honor those who have fought for our country and arranging flowers cut from our garden onto the graves of my ancestors.

Afterwards, a chuckwagon breakfast put on by the Lions Club and then playing with my cousins all day, with a BBQ / potluck picnic that evening involving all of my Aunts, Uncles,Cousins at my Grandparents.

We sure would have alot of fun and the evening would usually end with my Dad carrying each one of us sleeping kids out of the car and up the front porch steps, and putting us into our beds one by one. My mom would undress us and slip our nightgowns over our sleepy heads.

Things really havn't changed all that much since then except for a few more graves to decorate and a few more loved ones to miss and remember with loving fondness.
Speaking of BBQ's and potluck picnics....These are a set of bowls that I found at an antique shop. I was thrilled to find them because they are exactly like the bowls that my Mother recieved as a wedding gift in 1958. These are the bowls that held all of the potluck salads - potato, macaroni, 3 bean etc...

We lost the bowls in a house fire when I was 16, along with almost everything else (that's another story for another day) so I really am happy to have found these and bring back a little piece of the past.



There are three of them in the set and what makes them really nice, is they have lids to fit - making them perfect to take. Of course the best thing about them are the tulips - i just love them!


I also found another set that I had to have because well.........hello!! They are red polka dots! Thank you pyrex...for my red polka dot pyrex potluck bowls.(say that 3 times!)



The tablecloth that they are sitting on is also vintage and I sometimes use it for a curtain in my kitchen bay window. Can't you just see these bowls filled with salad sitting on this tablecloth in my Grandma's backyard, say oh, about 1968?



On another trip, I found matching Salt & Pepper shakers. Whooohooo! it was a happy day for me.


I hope everyone is having a lovely holiday weekend. Hopefully spending it with wonderful memories of family members, past and present....




post signature

13 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I just love all of your Pyrex finds! Thanks for showing them , they bring back memories!

Nedra said...

Great memories for Memorial Day. The fire sounds terrible, so I'm glad you found the bowls that match from your childhood. Love those polka dots too!

dream quilt create said...

I LOVE those bowls. The polka dots and the tulips coordinate beautifully. I have a thing for dishes myself. What a wonderful memory of Memorial Day!

Dawn said...

I love your dishes...especially the tulips! What great colors to celebrate Memorial Day!

Jocelyn said...

Great finds! Love finding those treasures :-)

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

ScrappinCricut said...

I used my Tulip bowls today to make Cookie Brownies! I was given mine by my late Grandmother McCormick. Everytime I use them, they put a smile on my face!

Nielson said...

Those are soooo cute! I just love Vintage Mondays :)

Allie said...

LOVE those tulips. Food just tastes better out of a vintage bowl, doesn't it? I think those tulips should find a way into one of your amazing quilts!

whitey said...

I have the tulip bowl that belonged to my husbands grandmother and I cherish it it looks like yours have lids wonder if they all had come with lids at some time.

Carrie P. said...

Such great finds and thanks for sharing some of memories.

Nanette Merrill said...

Lori your stuff is so darling! I love polka dots. I LOVE these dishes. So sweet. Glad you found them.

Becca said...

The dishes are cute, especially the polka dots. I love Memorial Day!

Funoldhag said...

As usual, great post, Lori. Although I don't have any pretty bowls like that, I do have some pyrex baking dishes and another old mixing bowl that I received as shower gifts in 1949. Lots of old stuff in kitchen that I am still using. Your vintage Monday postings are so much fun! :-)
Carol

Related Posts with Thumbnails